Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Staring Contest

I rode the Subway here for the first time yesterday. It was pretty normal. It felt like an uncoordinated giant was trying to rock me to sleep. We got off the cute little subway car, walked up some stairs, and came out in the middle of a very crowded Buchanan Street in Glasgow's City Centre. We saw where Queens Street train station was and headed up to Glasgow Cathedral. Man, this building is cool and old. Saint Mungo is buried there and it was built sometime during the 13th to 15th centuries. It is beautiful!

Next we headed up to the Necropolis. Not really sure why... 50,000 individuals have been buried there. There was a lot of really cool headstones and monuments. It has a beautiful view up there and my camera ran out of batteries so it was nice to take some time to just enjoy the view and take it all in.

After that I tried a deep-fried sausage and Iron Bru. My friend, who is on her mission here, told me to try Iron Bru while I was here so I did. Not very good. Next I'm going to try Ginger Beer. After eating we headed home and I read James Hogg's The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner for the rest of the day for class. It is very confusing and interesting at the same time.

Today, Cat and I almost missed class. Neither of our alarms did their job; she may have turned hers off in the middle of the night and mine was silent or very quiet. Not entirely sure what happened there. Anyways, we got ready in 15 minutes and headed off to class where I got into a staring contest with our teacher Matt. Not on purpose. He asked for a volunteer and I figured I might as well look at him and not volunteer then awkwardly avoid looking at him. It didn't actually work. He ended up making me share a passage and my thoughts anyways to finish class. It's cool though. I'm fine sharing my thoughts but I'm too scared to actually raise my hand. And there's like 3 or 4 people that talk a lot and have very deep points. That intimidates me. Anyways, he said it was a very good closing point. SCORE. Ahhhh yeah. Take that smart people! After class, Kerry, Matt's wife, gave us lychee/litchi. They look like berries and taste a bit like grapefruit.
Next we headed over to Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum for an organ concert. The organ was huge! The whole museum was huge. I will definitely be heading back there to check it out some more.
This was hanging from the ceiling. My favorite is in the top right.
I explored and then heading back to my dorm and watched some Bachelorette with some gal pals (: Then I passed out and took a nap. Then we walked half and hour to church for institute. Best decision ever. All the young single adults there were SO nice and the guys were so cute. I'm in love. Whatever. They told us some good places to go and told me it's not worth it to go to Prestwick... I'm not completely convinced. On the way home we told our worst date stories. Good times!

Tomorrow we are heading to Edinburgh! Lots of walking...


No comments:

Post a Comment