Thursday, February 26, 2015

Smile.


I made a kid smile the other day. It was a big deal. He hides in the corner and tries to blend in. And it was at a joke of failing out of high school of all things! 

When I got to the temple yesterday, it was an hour and a half long wait and I didn't have time do that. But I walked out of the temple in a much better mood. Turns out it was bring peace to your life if you spend just a few minutes there. I sat out front for a few minutes but it was super windy so I took a power nap in the car. I felt weird, but it was so great.

Provo Utah Temple as shot by Kevin Miller Photography (www.kmillerphoto.com)

I made a difference in an IEP meeting today! I see now that listening to the parent and validating what they’re saying is SO important. I just sat there for a lot of it because I’m “just a student teacher” but I saw the mom looking for help- I saw that look in her eyes- and I just couldn't take it anymore. So I spoke up. And I know I helped the mom feel better.
Because of this experience, I’m think I'll look into taking a conflict resolution class as some point. Maybe I can be a mediator for a school/district. A good friend once told me he really values that I am able to look at both sides of a stressful situation and give level-headed advice. He wasn't even surprised when I told him about it. My mom said, "You always were an empathetic type person." I think that is worded weirdly, but, hey, I'll take it!

My mentor teacher taught today because he had to be evaluated to renew his teaching license. He implemented using a task analysis. The importance of steps was drilled into my head at BYU so I brought it into student teaching and suggested it. A girl the other day said, "That really helps me," as I was pulling up the steps. YESSSSS. *Cue happy dance*

Anyway, I didn't have to teach at all today! Well, that's not entirely true. I LED a center in one of our co-taught classes. Granted, it was the easiest thing and the kids basically already knew had to do it, but the gen ed teacher finally trusted me enough to do that! 
I think the kids in our resource class today were a bit sad I’m not teaching, which is AWESOME. But I also may be imagining that. But a kid did say “Where are your Starbursts??” MT: "My Starburst are Cool to Care cards." Student: "Awwww." A little later, Girl asked if she could have a Starburst for catching his mistake and MT said, “Yes…......... or a Cool to Care card. Which would you rather?” She chose a Cool to Care and he was pretty pumped about that!

Girl: Let me help him get started. Maybe you should try a different browser.

Girl figures out math problem.
Boy: You are so smart. Your intelligence is amazing. You have really nice eyebrows, by the way.
Dude: Yeah............... Best eyebrows ever.

FUNNIEST THING: Boy just tripped over Kid's laptop cord and Kid said “Wow” in a super mellow voice and I LOST it because I’ve been saying “wowwww” in a sarcastic tone recently and a friend pointed it out to me. So now I catch myself doing it. Boy thought I was laughing at him and I just laughed harder. I had to hide my face.



No comments:

Post a Comment