Sunday, January 11, 2015

Week 1

I've decided to start blogging again- hopefully more consistently this time. I personally feel like I am at an interesting phase of my life and would like to record it. Until April, I will be student teaching in a special education math class in a high school. I have moved away from Provo to be closer to the school, therefore leaving my friends and my comfort zone. In this post, I want to cover three topics: school, my new house, and my future (bum bum bum!!!).

School is good so far. I have mostly been observing and helping students with assignments. And MAN am I surprised by this school. It's a strange enigma I have yet to figure out.
Let me tell you just a bit about the school that I find interesting. Each student has a laptop and a good chunk of the curriculum is digital. They have so many programs it's hard to keep up! Math XL, Geogebra, Canvas, etc. They are allowed to use their phones in the hallway and at teachers' descretion. They are allowed to leave class early if the teacher lets them. They have early release every Monday, and they get next Friday off of school so teachers can take that day to finish grading things. The students seem to get away with a lot..... but my experience in high school is very different than the students' I interact with.
Anyways, my mentor teacher is a very nice man named Chris originally from Wisconsin who loves to tell stories. I like him a lot, and I think he likes me so that makes me feel better! We are on a block schedule so there are 4 classes each day. On even days, we have 2 pull-out classes and 1 co-taught class (AKA 2 teachers and 1 student teacher in the class!). On odd days, we actually only have 1 pull-out class and 1 co-taught class (so nice) so I sit around possibly typing out blog posts while he works on stuff for aproximately 3 hours. I know I will be grateful for this time later in the semester when I have tons of assignments. Half of that time is set aside in case he wants to have in IEP meeting in the morning. I may also need to use that time for my TESOL student teaching hours once I get that figured out.
Also, I am going to a co-teaching conference next week I think! That will be interesting.

My new house! I love it! There view is amazing. I have so much room and I love my roommate! She is fun and inviting. And also clean haha. I appreciate that. It is weird only living with one person but it has it's perks. I pretty much have the whole basement to myself and I love the kitchen. I have adopted the kitchen island and sit there often. It's too cold and dark in the basement.



My future. As of right now, I do not want to teach in a high school. I don't even want to teach in the public school system. (WHAAATTT????) I would love to help at-risk kids even though most of those seem to lead to the woods. I don't know if I'm hardcore enough to live in the woods. And I think a Recreation Management degree would have gone better with that career path, but I am confident in my choice to major in special education and know that I will find a job that I love someday.
What am I going to do after graduation, you might ask? No idea. I am thinking about being an EFY counselor for the summer because I think that would be a great experience in many ways. I am thinking about applying for a year-round position at a camp in New York for kids with emotional, social, and learning disabilities. Maybe I will teach in a school for a few years and then get a masters. Maybe I will find something completely random. All I know is I want to get a real job so I can support myself. Who knows! I'm not sressing. Yet.

"You are stronger than you realize. You are more capable than you can imagine." 
—President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

No comments:

Post a Comment